This is a simple and delicious brisket recipe.
- 1 14-16 lb whole brisket
- Kosher salt
- Dizzy Pig Cowlick Seasoning
- Beef Broth
- BBQ Bob’s Hav'N a BBQ Sauce
- Trim any heavy fat from both sides of brisket leaving a thin layer on the fattier side.
- Set your BBQ Guru controller to 260 degrees F and let your smoker come up to temperature.
- While your smoker is coming up to temperature, season both sides of your brisket with a moderate amount of kosher salt then shake on the Cowlick seasoning. Let the brisket sit on the counter top until the smoker is ready.
- Once your smoker is reading 260, place two chunks of smoke wood into the hot coals and shut the smoker. (I like pecan wood). Wait about 10 minutes before placing the brisket in the smoker so the smoke wood can mellow out.
- Place the brisket on a smoker shelf with a indirect set up. (Not directly over the coals). Have the fattier side down. Shut the smoker and allow the temperature to recover to 260. This can take several minutes.
- Smoke the brisket for approximately 4-5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160-170 F. Wrap the brisket in two layers of heavy duty foil and pour 1 cup of beef broth into the foil with the brisket. Secure the foil so that it doesn't leak and place it back on the smoker shelf in the foil.
- Place your food probe (if using one) through the foiled brisket and cook for approximately 4-6 more hours or until the internal temp reaches 190-200 F. Check the brisket for tenderness with a thermometer probe or toothpick. If you feel resistance, leave it in the smoker and continue to check every 15-20 minutes.
- Once the brisket is tender, let it rest in a Cambro or dry cooler for approximately 2-3 hours to rest and allow juices to reabsorb into the meat.
- Slice against the grain and serve with warm BBQ sauce and beef broth mixed 1:1.